Kate Winslet admits she left her dying ex-boyfriend


Kate Winslet has been doing a lot of press for her upcoming film “Revolutionary Road” with Leonard DiCaprio. She recently admitted that she left her ex-boyfriend, actor Stephen Tredre, when he was dying of bone cancer. Winslet said he broke up with her because he was afraid she was ruining her career by taking care of him. He died before he got to see Kate make it big - right before the premiere of “Titanic.”

Kate Winslet regrets abandoning her dying ex-boyfriend - even though he told her to. Winslet dated actor and writer Stephen Tredre for five years, until he ended their romance in 1997 - fearing her fledgling Hollywood career would suffer if she spent her days caring for him.

After Winslet finished filming Titanic, Tredre died of bone cancer. Kate was not at the premier of blockbuster because she instead attended his funeral in London. But Kate wishes never agreed to Stephen’s wishes.

The actress - who is now married to director Sam Mendes - explains, “Stephen let me go, and that as an act of love from one human being to another was overwhelming.
“When I look back, I wish he hadn’t. I wish I had just been there. To the bitter end. He was gone very quickly and – I still go over those moments in my head.

“I talk about Stephen as if I still love him. But I do. I hope I always will.

“You don’t (get over a death), you learn to live with it. I look back on it… and I still get upset when I talk about it.”

What a heartbreaking story. It doesn’t sound like Kate “abandoned” Stephen so much as he wanted to do what was best for her, and she went with it. Clearly she’s still upset about her decision, but it seems like she’s chosen to look at it in the right light, in terms of it being an amazingly unselfish act on Stephen’s part. I think you could only do something like that if you truly, profoundly loved a person. Nonetheless, I don’t blame her for feeling guilty. It’s hard to match the kind of gift Stephen gave her, and her career really has blossomed. Hopefully Kate will eventually forgive herself – it sounds heartbreaking, and like they both deeply loved each other.

0 comments: